pixiv Inc. (the “Company”) recognizes the social responsibility of BOOTH, and in order to conduct sound and smooth management of services, has specified these BOOTH Guidelines.
Age Restriction Additions and Disabling Public Display of Products
When a Shop Owner sells a Product, the Company will treat images, titles and descriptions registered with BOOTH as part of the Product, and verify whether the product falls under the age-restricted products or prohibited products (hereinafter collectively referred to as " Subject Products"). If the Company determines that a Product falls under a Subject Product, the Company will take measures such as placing on the Subject Product the age restriction label of “R-18” and to prevent users of BOOTH from viewing the Subject Product, such as compulsorily disabling the public display of the Subject Product. Determination as to whether a Product falls under a Subject Product will be made by the Company as soon as it is detected, regardless of the timing of the sale of the Product. Further, malicious acts including the following prohibited conduct may result in the suspension of the user’s account. Please understand that the Company is unable to respond to any inquiries regarding actions taken by the Company or the reasons for such actions.
When using BOOTH, a user must not engage in any conduct that falls under the following or that the Company determines falls under the following.
- Massive or continuous posting of Products prohibited from sale
- Tags or comments etc. that are defamatory, threatening, or economically or psychologically damaging or detrimental
- Use of crawlers and other programs to gather Products
- Conduct that imposes excessive loads on the server
Age Restricted Product (R-18 Product)
When selling a Product that falls under any of the following on BOOTH, a user must always enter a check mark on the “R-18” box on the Product registration screen to apply age restrictions. Even for a Product that is set as “All ages,” if the Company determines that purchase of the Product by a person under the age of 18 is inappropriate, based on the Company’s judgment, the age restriction will be changed to “R-18” at such time.
- Products that contain expressions that are inappropriate for users under the age of 18
- Products expressing anything related to sex, the union or joining of genitals, or anything reminiscent of sexual activity
- Products containing expressions related to violent scenes, highly dangerous or stimulating ideas, or imitative expressions
Product that includes genitals and bonding areas of genitals, areas reminiscent of the same, and detailed and excessive depictions of cuts and lacerations etc. can be sold on BOOTH only after it is appropriately mosaicked.
Matters that the Company will consider determining whether a Product has been appropriately mosaicked are set forth below, and images must be mosaicked using the following as reference.
However, the Products that fall under “Treatment of Real-Life Photographs” set forth below cannot be sold on BOOTH regardless of whether they are mosaicked or not.
(1) Method of Mosaic Processing
- Details are hidden based on visual judgment
- Mosaic Processing should be performed at the same dimension until it has reached a level where it is impossible to technically reverse the edit
- The range must include the outline
- Ensure that details are not obscured by transparency
- Refer to the following for obscuration by mosaics
Mosaics should use squares that are least 4x4 pixels in size, and if the length of the image is 400 pixels or more, the dimensions of the mosaic squares in the necessary area should be 1/100 of the length of the entire image
- Mosaic Processing using solid colors should conceal all inappropriate parts, but exceptions can be made if concealing only a part of the image results in obscuration
- Mosaic Processing using white liquids or other patterns should conceal all inappropriate parts, but exceptions can be made if concealing only a part of the image results in obscuration
(2) Examples of areas that require Mosaic Processing
- Genitals or areas reminiscent of genitals
- Areas related to the union or joining of genitals or the insertion
- Areas related to the union or joining of anuses or the insertion
- Areas that cuts and lacerations etc. are unnecessarily expressed in detail and excess
Product Prohibited from Sale
Products that fall under the following (Product that is prohibited from sale) cannot be sold on BOOTH. Further, if the Company determines that a Product falls under Product that is prohibited from sale, public display of such Product will be compulsorily disabled.
- Products that are defamatory, threatening, or economically or psychologically damaging or detrimental
- Products that contain expressions or depictions of genitals or exposures
- Products that contain expressions that evoke the genital joint using a non-actual object
- Products that contain needlessly distorted depictions of sex
- Products that contain shockingly and disturbingly strong violence scene
- Products that promote needlessly extreme ideas
- Products that glorify or excessively foster anti-social conduct
- Products that contain expressions that unfairly discriminate against race, belief, occupation, gender or religion
- Products that display the actions of religious cults or political extremists
- Products that contain excessively brutal scenes that unnecessarily exaggerate stimulation or that might be expected to lead to imitation
- Products that contain clearly sexualized depictions of young children
Treatment of Real-Life Photographs
Products that are mainly real-life photographs that the Company determines falls under any of the following cannot be sold on BOOTH regardless of Mosaic Processing status. Moreover, if the Company determines that a Product that is mainly real-life photographs falls under any of the following, public display of such Product will be compulsorily disabled at such time.
- Products that contain excessive exposures
- Products that may infringe on portrait rights, design rights, or other intellectual property rights
- Products for which the necessary permission for use has not been obtained from the subject or photographer
- Products for which a minor is the subject
- Products that are highly reminiscent of genitals or sexual acts
- Products that are contrary to public order and morals
- Products which were filmed without permission at public roads, parks, schools, commercial facilities, train stations, private homes of other persons, or other places where entry and filming etc. require permission
- Products that contain expressions related to uniforms, personal effects, or badges etc. of real occupations (such as police officers and firefighters), qualifications, etc. and that have the potential to undermine trust in or misuse of such occupations, qualifications, etc
- Products that the Company determines to be inappropriate
- Products that excessively depict hypnosis, bondage, physical restraint, sexual assault, or drugs etc., and Products that depict violent, dangerous or shocking expressions (not limited to the foregoing)
- Products that the Company find inappropriate in light of social morals or ethics
Updated on August 19th, 2021
Enacted on December 27th, 2013